Questions about: The Children’s Holocaust Memorial
• Can I do a self-guided tour of the Children’s Holocaust Memorial?
• Is there a number that I can call for more information on the Children’s Holocaust Memorial?
• How do I schedule a group tour?
• How do I get to the Memorial?
A: Self-guided tours of the Memorial are available any time during school hours and the railcar has its own audio system.
After school hours, self-guided tours are also available. Visitors may gain access to the car by picking up a key from Smith’s Bros. Grocery at 13835 Hwy. 28, which is located approximately 1.3 miles North of the second stop light on Hwy 28 between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. Central Time.
Visitors without a scheduled tour who wish to read some of the letters and documents that have been sent to the project are welcome to visit the Holocaust Resource Library during regular school hours; however, due to limited space and personnel, we can not accommodate groups larger than 10 inside the Holocaust Resource Library.
Reminder: Tennessee has two time zones. Whitwell is on CDT but everything to the east is on EST.
A: The Children’s Holocaust Memorial information line is (423) 658-5631
A: Whitwell Middle School can only offer student-led tours that include the letters and other artifacts on Fridays beginning at 10:40 am (CT) when school is in session. Please consult the district calendar for days when school is not in session. WMS is unable to honor requests for student-led tours at any other time.
During the summer, group tours are offered on Thursdays at 9am by reservation only.
To book a tour, please visit the Memorial’s Tour Reservation Center page, download a Tour Reservation Form, and fax it to
423-658-6949. Reservations may also be made by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put the word VISIT in the subject line.
A: If you are traveling by car, Whitwell Middle School is located approximately 12 miles north of I-24 Exit 155.
- Taking this exit will put you on state Hwy. 28.
- At the 2nd stoplight on Hwy. 28 make a left turn onto Valley View Hwy. The second light is approximately 11 miles from the 1st light.
- Proceed 1/2 miles to Butterfly Lane on left.
- Enter through gates to Whitwell Middle School.
DURING TIMES WHEN SCHOOL IS NOT IN SESSION, YOU MUST ENTER THE AREA FROM HWY. 28 BY TURNING INTO THE WHITWELL HIGH SCHOOL PARKING LOT.